Vietnam is a very conservative country, something like the West was before the 1960s. Marriage is a child-bearing operation that happens early in life, with generations of a family living together. Imagine Hillary Clinton's proverbial "village" (as in "It takes a village"), but here, there's little leeway for anything short of providing for the next generation and no tolerance of alternative lifestyles. Attitudes toward homosexuality, despite growing notions that people are "born" so, are archaic and discriminatory.
In fact, there are laws against homosexuality in Vietnam, and any gay activity or nightclub is watched closely for "aberrant behavior" of what is officially considered a great "social evil." Police have been known to raid men's clubs, massage parlors, and saunas, imposing fines and "re-education courses" on Vietnamese offenders. Sadly, police often target foreign gay visitors in the big cities and sometimes work with dangerous gay touts and escorts to set up gay travelers (and sex tourists) for blackmail and scams.
The efforts of local and international NGOs to educate about condom use has met with some success, as there is a low reportage of HIV infections among gay males (though statistics are unreliable). In general, an increase in sex tourism in Vietnam has been reported, including gay sex tourism -- the sad truth is that many of these visitors have pointedly forgotten what they know about HIV and AIDS prevention.
You won't find any parades or openly gay-friendly destinations in Vietnam because all gay nightlife is underground, but there is a gay scene in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh, as well as at some beach destinations.
( 0 Votes )
|< Prev||Next >|
- Best time to visit Vietnam
- Cost of daily items & tipping
- Tips and advice to help you stay safe during your trip
- Business travellers
- Vietnamese money and currency
- Medical & health information
- 20 biggest travel mistakes
- Customs and immigration
- Motorbike hire
- Travelling by bus or coach
- Public Train in Vietnam
- Domestic Flights Vietnam
- Cheap Flights to Vietnam
- Taste fried Vietnamese spring rolls-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Sapa Homestay-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Hanoi City Tour-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Drink like a local-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Halong Bay in the ricefields-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Climb Fansipan Mountain-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Cruise Halong Bay-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Vietnam Government
- Vietnam Religion & Lifestyle
- Origins of the Vietnamese Language
- Vietnam History
- Vietnam travel safety - How is safety to travel to Vietnam
- Best time to travel to Indochina
- Gay and Lesbian Travel Tips
- Three steps to avoid fraud when booking travel online for your Vietnam holiday
- Best time to travel to Vietnam and Cambodia
Top 10 Most Interest
PROMOTIONAL CODE CHINESE NEW YEAR 2017 To use the promotional code ” CHINESE NEW YEAR...
Son Doong Cave History From an early age, local man Ho Khanh used to spend weeks on end trekki...
Structure of Son Doong Cave The first expedition had been halted by an 80m high calcite barrier, ...
Son Dong Cave Phóto: Internet Son Doong Cave is in the heart of the Phong Nha Ke Bang National ...
Kong: Skull Island Trip & Sapa- 8 Days Starts : Hanoi City , ends : Hanoi City Trip code: KSIT &SP...
Kong: Skull Island Trip- 2Days Starts : Hanoi City , ends : Hanoi City Trip code: KSIT-2D Ages: Mi...
Vietnam visa fees granted to US tourists set to skyrocket from late August The Vietn...
Vietnam to launch e-visas in tourism drive
Vietnam named a favorite destination for Chinese tourists
Visa waivers lift Vietnam's foreign tourist arrivals
PROMOTIONAL CODE CHINESE NEW YEAR 2017Thursday, 22 December 2016 01:13
Son Doong Cave HistoryFriday, 25 November 2016 02:18
Structure of Son Doong CaveFriday, 25 November 2016 02:15
Son Dong CaveFriday, 25 November 2016 01:50
Kong: Skull Island Trip & Sapa- 8 DaysThursday, 24 November 2016 03:23
Kong: Skull Island Trip- 2DaysThursday, 24 November 2016 02:01
Vietnam visa fees granted to US tourists set to skyrocket from late AugustThursday, 24 November 2016 01:50
Vietnam to launch e-visas in tourism driveThursday, 24 November 2016 01:48
Vietnam named a favorite destination for Chinese touristsThursday, 24 November 2016 01:46
Visa waivers lift Vietnam's foreign tourist arrivalsThursday, 24 November 2016 01:44