Ha Long Bay and the northern seaboard
The mystical scenery of Ha Long Bay is what draws people to the northeast coast of Vietnam. Thousands of bizarrely-shaped limestone islands jut out of the emerald sea; navigating the silent, secretive channels, past bobbing clusters of fishing boats, and stopping to scramble through caves or swim beneath overhanging cliffs are some of the highlights of a trip to Vietnam. Tourism now rivals fishing as the prime activity, but the bustling harbour retains a certain
authenticity and the tourist hordes are easily swallowed up in the bay’s generous proportions, with many overnighting aboard a traditional wooden junk; their tea-coloured sails are just for show since almost all vessels are motor-driven, but there’s a timeless, romantic air to floating amongst pristine moonlit peaks. By far the largest island in the bay, the wonderful Cat Ba makes an appealing base for exploring the area with some fine scenery as well as being home to Cat Ba National Park, a forest and maritime reserve requiring the usual mix of luck and dedication to see anything larger than a mosquito.
The two main jumping-off points for the bay and its islands are Haiphong and Ha Long City: though most travellers pass straight through, both are well set up for tourism. Haiphong is the more appealing, despite being north Vietnam’s second-largest city and a major port: broach the industrial outskirts and you’ll find a surprisingly agreeable centre with some nineteenth-century architecture. Further up the coast, Ha Long City is split by a strait into two mismatched halves - the largely unappealing sprawl of high-end hotels and seaside kitsch known as Bai Chay, and the neighbouring Hong Gai, an earthy, industrious town largely dedicated to fishing.
Its a further 150km up the coast to the Chinese border with the booming Markets of Mong Cai and the long, sweeping beach at Tra Co: hydrofoil services ^ong the coast make travel up to Mong Cai uncharacteristically smooth.
- Best time to visit Vietnam
- Cost of daily items & tipping
- Tips and advice to help you stay safe during your trip
- Business travellers
- Vietnamese money and currency
- Medical & health information
- 20 biggest travel mistakes
- Customs and immigration
- Motorbike hire
- Travelling by bus or coach
- Public Train in Vietnam
- Domestic Flights Vietnam
- Cheap Flights to Vietnam
- Taste fried Vietnamese spring rolls-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Sapa Homestay-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Hanoi City Tour-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Drink like a local-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Halong Bay in the ricefields-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Climb Fansipan Mountain-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Cruise Halong Bay-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Vietnam Government
- Vietnam Religion & Lifestyle
- Origins of the Vietnamese Language
- Vietnam History
- Vietnam travel safety - How is safety to travel to Vietnam
- Best time to travel to Indochina
- Gay and Lesbian Travel Tips
- Three steps to avoid fraud when booking travel online for your Vietnam holiday
- Best time to travel to Vietnam and Cambodia
World Heritage in Vietnam
- Stone Stele Records of Royal Examinations of the LE and MAC Dynasties
- Buddhist Sutra Woodblocks of Truc Lam Zen
- Art of Don Ca Tai Tu Music and Song in Southern Vietnam
- The Space of Gong Culture in Central Highlands of Vietnam
- Nha Nhac - Vietnamese Court Music
- Ca Tru Singing
- Quan Ho Bac Ninh Folk Songs
- Xoan Singing
- Worship of Hung Kings in Phu Tho
- Giong Festivals at Phu Dong & Soc Temples
- My Son Sanctuary
- Hoi An Ancient Town
- Complex of Hue Monuments
- The Citadel of the Ho Dynasty
- The Central Sector of Imperial Citadel of Thang Long - Ha Noi
- Dong Van Karst Plateau
- Phong Nha - Ke Bang National Park
- Halong Bay - World Natural Heritage
Top 10 Most Interest
Thousands of visitors across the country flocked to the opening ceremony of the 2015 Phu Da...
The photography exhibition, themed ‘World heritage sites in Viet Nam’, was held ...
UK magazine, The Guardian, has listed Hai Van (Sea Cloud) Pass in Viet Nam among the top 10 ...
A Vietnamese delegation has attended the 18th international bonsai and tea festival in Nitr...
The unique tug-of-war in Ngoc Tri village, Thach Ban ward, Long Bien district, Ha Noi was of...
From April 28th to May 3rd, a range of diverse cultural activities of six ethnic groups in the no...
The low-cost carrier, Jetstar Pacific will open a Ho Chi Minh City-Chu Lai (Quang Nam provin...
Air Busan from the Republic of Korea has launched a new direct flight route connecting the ...
The Hoa Binh Tourism Company has launched two new three-star cruisers to serve tourists in ...
The Vietnam Airlines Tourism Company (VATC) will offer new prices for the Sleep Pod service...
Thousands flock to 2015 Phu Day festivalThursday, 23 April 2015 07:58
Thanh Hoa exhibition honours world heritage in Viet NamThursday, 23 April 2015 07:58
Hai Van Pass among world’s top 10 best scenic drivesThursday, 23 April 2015 07:49
Viet Nam attends itn’l bonsai and tea festival in SlovakiaThursday, 23 April 2015 07:49
Long Bien district’s unique tug-of-war recognised as national heritageThursday, 23 April 2015 07:49
Cultural activities at Culture Tourism Village of Vietnamese Ethnic GroupsThursday, 23 April 2015 07:49
Jetstar Pacific to open Ho Chi Minh City-Chu Lai routeThursday, 23 April 2015 07:43
Air Busan launches Busan–Da Nang direct routeThursday, 16 April 2015 05:16
Cruisers to boost Hoa Binh tourismThursday, 16 April 2015 05:16
Noi Bai Airport sees new prices for sleep pod serviceThursday, 16 April 2015 05:16