Ha Long Bay and the northern seaboard
The mystical scenery of Ha Long Bay is what draws people to the northeast coast of Vietnam. Thousands of bizarrely-shaped limestone islands jut out of the emerald sea; navigating the silent, secretive channels, past bobbing clusters of fishing boats, and stopping to scramble through caves or swim beneath overhanging cliffs are some of the highlights of a trip to Vietnam. Tourism now rivals fishing as the prime activity, but the bustling harbour retains a certain
authenticity and the tourist hordes are easily swallowed up in the bay’s generous proportions, with many overnighting aboard a traditional wooden junk; their tea-coloured sails are just for show since almost all vessels are motor-driven, but there’s a timeless, romantic air to floating amongst pristine moonlit peaks. By far the largest island in the bay, the wonderful Cat Ba makes an appealing base for exploring the area with some fine scenery as well as being home to Cat Ba National Park, a forest and maritime reserve requiring the usual mix of luck and dedication to see anything larger than a mosquito.
The two main jumping-off points for the bay and its islands are Haiphong and Ha Long City: though most travellers pass straight through, both are well set up for tourism. Haiphong is the more appealing, despite being north Vietnam’s second-largest city and a major port: broach the industrial outskirts and you’ll find a surprisingly agreeable centre with some nineteenth-century architecture. Further up the coast, Ha Long City is split by a strait into two mismatched halves - the largely unappealing sprawl of high-end hotels and seaside kitsch known as Bai Chay, and the neighbouring Hong Gai, an earthy, industrious town largely dedicated to fishing.
Its a further 150km up the coast to the Chinese border with the booming Markets of Mong Cai and the long, sweeping beach at Tra Co: hydrofoil services ^ong the coast make travel up to Mong Cai uncharacteristically smooth.
- Best time to visit Vietnam
- Cost of daily items & tipping
- Tips and advice to help you stay safe during your trip
- Business travellers
- Vietnamese money and currency
- Medical & health information
- 20 biggest travel mistakes
- Customs and immigration
- Motorbike hire
- Travelling by bus or coach
- Public Train in Vietnam
- Domestic Flights Vietnam
- Cheap Flights to Vietnam
- Taste fried Vietnamese spring rolls-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Sapa Homestay-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Hanoi City Tour-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Drink like a local-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Halong Bay in the ricefields-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Climb Fansipan Mountain-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Cruise Halong Bay-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Vietnam Government
- Vietnam Religion & Lifestyle
- Origins of the Vietnamese Language
- Vietnam History
- Vietnam travel safety - How is safety to travel to Vietnam
- Best time to travel to Indochina
- Gay and Lesbian Travel Tips
- Three steps to avoid fraud when booking travel online for your Vietnam holiday
- Best time to travel to Vietnam and Cambodia
World Heritage in Vietnam
- Stone Stele Records of Royal Examinations of the LE and MAC Dynasties
- Buddhist Sutra Woodblocks of Truc Lam Zen
- Art of Don Ca Tai Tu Music and Song in Southern Vietnam
- The Space of Gong Culture in Central Highlands of Vietnam
- Nha Nhac - Vietnamese Court Music
- Ca Tru Singing
- Quan Ho Bac Ninh Folk Songs
- Xoan Singing
- Worship of Hung Kings in Phu Tho
- Giong Festivals at Phu Dong & Soc Temples
- My Son Sanctuary
- Hoi An Ancient Town
- Complex of Hue Monuments
- The Citadel of the Ho Dynasty
- The Central Sector of Imperial Citadel of Thang Long - Ha Noi
- Dong Van Karst Plateau
- Phong Nha - Ke Bang National Park
- Halong Bay - World Natural Heritage
Top 10 Most Interest
The 11th HCM City Tourism Day 2015, themed "Impression of World Heritage in Viet Nam&q...
Vietnamese culture, tradition and landscapes have been vividly depicted on 40 large photos ...
The International Travel Expo in Ho Chi Minh City (ITE- HCMC) has successfully promoted coo...
A series of events have been organised by the Consulate General of Viet Nam in Perth, Australia ...
A media centre for the 132nd Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly (IPU-132) opened on March 2...
The southern province of Kien Giang on March 27 held a ceremony to announce a Prime Ministe...
The People’s Committee of the northern mountainous province of Son La has devised a number...
Around 878,000 travellers visited the central coastal city of Da Nang in the first three months ...
Located 30 kilometers from National Highway 1A and 55 kilometers from Da Nang City, Le Pass...
An autumn morning, we visited Bidoup Nui Ba National Park in Da Lat City, one of ...
Ho Chi Minh City tourism day kicks offMonday, 30 March 2015 17:29
Vietnamese culture, landscapes featured in MozambiqueMonday, 30 March 2015 17:26
ITE-HCMC spotlights Mekong sub-region tourismMonday, 30 March 2015 17:26
Viet Nam’s culture promoted in AustraliaMonday, 30 March 2015 17:26
Media centre for IPU-132 Assembly opens in Ha NoiMonday, 30 March 2015 17:26
Phu Quoc prison recognised as special national heritage siteMonday, 30 March 2015 17:26
Son La calls for investment in tourismMonday, 30 March 2015 17:26
Da Nang records strong increase in tourist arrivalsMonday, 30 March 2015 17:26
Up to Le Pass for delicious chicken dishesMonday, 30 March 2015 17:24
Back to nature at Bidoup Nui Ba ParkMonday, 30 March 2015 17:24