Hoi An and around
The ancient core of HOI AN is a rich architectural fusion of Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese and European influences dating back to the sixteenth century. In its heyday the now drowsy channel of the Thu Bon River was a jostling crowd of merchant vessels representing the world’s great trading nations, and there’s still a compelling sense of history in the mellow streets of this small, amiable town. Hoi An’s most noteworthy monuments are the 200-year-old homes of prosperous Chinese merchants whose descendants, surrounded by astonishing collections of antiques and family memorabilia, continue to inhabit the cool, dark houses. Between their sober wooden facades, riotous confections of glazed roof tiles and writhing dragons mark the entrances to Chinese Assembly Halls, which form the focal point of civic and spiritual life for an ethnic Chinese community that constitutes one quarter of the population.
Granted UNESCO World Heritage status in 1999, Hoi An is now firmly on most visitors’ agendas. For some it’s already too much of a tourist trap with its profusion of tailors’ shops and art galleries and its rapidly proliferating hotels, and the majority of visitors pause only briefly, but it takes time to tune in to the town’s subtle charms. At least a day is needed to cover the central sights and sample some of Hoi An’s mouthwatering speciality dishes, and by then most people are hooked. It’s easy to spend longer, taking day-trips to the atmospheric Cham ruins of My Son or some of the other sights closer to town (see p.280), biking out into the surrounding country or opting for a leisurely sampan ride on the Thu Bon River. If possible, try to time your visit to coincide with the Full-Moon Festival, on the fourteenth day of the lunar calendar every month, when the town centre is closed to traffic and traditional arts performances take place in the lantern-lit streets.
- Best time to visit Vietnam
- Cost of daily items & tipping
- Tips and advice to help you stay safe during your trip
- Business travellers
- Vietnamese money and currency
- Medical & health information
- 20 biggest travel mistakes
- Customs and immigration
- Motorbike hire
- Travelling by bus or coach
- Public Train in Vietnam
- Domestic Flights Vietnam
- Cheap Flights to Vietnam
- Taste fried Vietnamese spring rolls-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Sapa Homestay-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Hanoi City Tour-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Drink like a local-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Halong Bay in the ricefields-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Climb Fansipan Mountain-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Cruise Halong Bay-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Vietnam Government
- Vietnam Religion & Lifestyle
- Origins of the Vietnamese Language
- Vietnam History
- Vietnam travel safety - How is safety to travel to Vietnam
- Best time to travel to Indochina
- Gay and Lesbian Travel Tips
- Three steps to avoid fraud when booking travel online for your Vietnam holiday
- Best time to travel to Vietnam and Cambodia
World Heritage in Vietnam
- Stone Stele Records of Royal Examinations of the LE and MAC Dynasties
- Buddhist Sutra Woodblocks of Truc Lam Zen
- Art of Don Ca Tai Tu Music and Song in Southern Vietnam
- The Space of Gong Culture in Central Highlands of Vietnam
- Nha Nhac - Vietnamese Court Music
- Ca Tru Singing
- Quan Ho Bac Ninh Folk Songs
- Xoan Singing
- Worship of Hung Kings in Phu Tho
- Giong Festivals at Phu Dong & Soc Temples
- My Son Sanctuary
- Hoi An Ancient Town
- Complex of Hue Monuments
- The Citadel of the Ho Dynasty
- The Central Sector of Imperial Citadel of Thang Long - Ha Noi
- Dong Van Karst Plateau
- Phong Nha - Ke Bang National Park
- Halong Bay - World Natural Heritage
Top 10 Most Interest
Budget airline VietJet Air will officially open its Hai Phong-Da Nang flight route on June ...
Five electric cars with 9-12 seats have been imported from Japan to serve tourists on Minh ...
The national flag carrier Vietnam Airlines (VNA) announced on May 13 that it will offer 4,0...
The management board of My Son Sanctuary has officially inaugurated a 2km road connecting t...
Ho Chi Minh City will launch its first electric bus service going through downtown tourist ...
Viet Nam has actually won the worldwide tourists’ attention to its extraordinary natu...
These days, thousands of birds and storks are flocking to Vam Sat Ecological Tourist Centre...
Vietjet Air will increase the number of flights between Ho Chi Minh City and Taipei (China)...
The low-cost airline VietJet Air on May 20th launched its biggest ever promotion program.
Undoubtedly, Nha Trang is renowned as the city of the sea and for its many pristine beaches, and...
Vietjet Air to offer Hai Phong- Da Nang flight routeSunday, 24 May 2015 23:41
Quang Ninh Province launches electric bus serviceSunday, 24 May 2015 23:41
Vietnam Airlines to add 4,040 flights during summer holidaySunday, 24 May 2015 23:41
Trek routes laid in My Son SanctuarySunday, 24 May 2015 23:41
HCM City gets electric busesSunday, 24 May 2015 23:41
Viet Nam Photograph Tour and the must-see tourist attractionsSunday, 24 May 2015 23:41
Thrilling birding tour and moreSunday, 24 May 2015 23:41
Vietjet Air increases Ho Chi Minh City-Taipei flightsSunday, 24 May 2015 23:41
Airline offers millions of “zero fare” ticketsSunday, 24 May 2015 23:41
Viewing Nha Trang City from Co Tien MountainSunday, 24 May 2015 23:36