Hoi An and around
The ancient core of HOI AN is a rich architectural fusion of Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese and European influences dating back to the sixteenth century. In its heyday the now drowsy channel of the Thu Bon River was a jostling crowd of merchant vessels representing the world’s great trading nations, and there’s still a compelling sense of history in the mellow streets of this small, amiable town. Hoi An’s most noteworthy monuments are the 200-year-old homes of prosperous Chinese merchants whose descendants, surrounded by astonishing collections of antiques and family memorabilia, continue to inhabit the cool, dark houses. Between their sober wooden facades, riotous confections of glazed roof tiles and writhing dragons mark the entrances to Chinese Assembly Halls, which form the focal point of civic and spiritual life for an ethnic Chinese community that constitutes one quarter of the population.
Granted UNESCO World Heritage status in 1999, Hoi An is now firmly on most visitors’ agendas. For some it’s already too much of a tourist trap with its profusion of tailors’ shops and art galleries and its rapidly proliferating hotels, and the majority of visitors pause only briefly, but it takes time to tune in to the town’s subtle charms. At least a day is needed to cover the central sights and sample some of Hoi An’s mouthwatering speciality dishes, and by then most people are hooked. It’s easy to spend longer, taking day-trips to the atmospheric Cham ruins of My Son or some of the other sights closer to town (see p.280), biking out into the surrounding country or opting for a leisurely sampan ride on the Thu Bon River. If possible, try to time your visit to coincide with the Full-Moon Festival, on the fourteenth day of the lunar calendar every month, when the town centre is closed to traffic and traditional arts performances take place in the lantern-lit streets.
- Best time to visit Vietnam
- Cost of daily items & tipping
- Tips and advice to help you stay safe during your trip
- Business travellers
- Vietnamese money and currency
- Medical & health information
- 20 biggest travel mistakes
- Customs and immigration
- Motorbike hire
- Travelling by bus or coach
- Public Train in Vietnam
- Domestic Flights Vietnam
- Cheap Flights to Vietnam
- Taste fried Vietnamese spring rolls-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Sapa Homestay-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Hanoi City Tour-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Drink like a local-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Halong Bay in the ricefields-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Climb Fansipan Mountain-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Cruise Halong Bay-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Vietnam Government
- Vietnam Religion & Lifestyle
- Origins of the Vietnamese Language
- Vietnam History
- Vietnam travel safety - How is safety to travel to Vietnam
- Best time to travel to Indochina
- Gay and Lesbian Travel Tips
- Three steps to avoid fraud when booking travel online for your Vietnam holiday
- Best time to travel to Vietnam and Cambodia
World Heritage in Vietnam
- Stone Stele Records of Royal Examinations of the LE and MAC Dynasties
- Buddhist Sutra Woodblocks of Truc Lam Zen
- Art of Don Ca Tai Tu Music and Song in Southern Vietnam
- The Space of Gong Culture in Central Highlands of Vietnam
- Nha Nhac - Vietnamese Court Music
- Ca Tru Singing
- Quan Ho Bac Ninh Folk Songs
- Xoan Singing
- Worship of Hung Kings in Phu Tho
- Giong Festivals at Phu Dong & Soc Temples
- My Son Sanctuary
- Hoi An Ancient Town
- Complex of Hue Monuments
- The Citadel of the Ho Dynasty
- The Central Sector of Imperial Citadel of Thang Long - Ha Noi
- Dong Van Karst Plateau
- Phong Nha - Ke Bang National Park
- Halong Bay - World Natural Heritage
Top 10 Most Interest
Stir-fried Chicken Chunks with Mango and Cashews Ga Xao Hot Dieu &nb...
Spicy Duck in Orange Sauce Vit Nau Cam 1...
Chicken Curry in Coconut Milk Ca Ri Ga Nuoc Cot Dua Curried dishes h...
Honey Roasted Chicken Ga Quay Mat Ong This recipe works well with a...
Banana Blossom Salad with Duck Goi Vit Bap Chuoi ...
Braised Duck with Ginger Vit Kho Gung 4 i...
Minced Salmon with Sesame Seed Rice Crackers This recipe was...
Braised Fish with Galangal Sauce Ca Chep Kho Rieng ...
Whole Fish with Ginger Lemongrass Sauce Ca Mu Chien Voi Gung Vietnam...
Crisp Soft-shell Crabs, Oysters and Clams with Sweet and Sour Sauce Cua Va Ngheu Lan Bot Chien Gio...
Stir-fried Chicken Chunks with Mango and CashewsSunday, 25 January 2015 12:01
Spicy Duck in Orange SauceSunday, 25 January 2015 11:53
Chicken Curry in Coconut MilkSunday, 25 January 2015 11:41
Honey Roasted ChickenSunday, 25 January 2015 11:40
Banana Blossom Salad with DuckSunday, 25 January 2015 09:48
Braised Duck with GingerSunday, 25 January 2015 09:42
Minced Salmon with Sesame Seed Rice CrackersSaturday, 24 January 2015 13:16
Braised Fish with Galangal SauceSaturday, 24 January 2015 13:12
Whole Fish with Ginger Lemongrass SauceSaturday, 24 January 2015 12:59
Crisp Soft-shell Crabs, Oysters and Clams with Sweet and Sour SauceSaturday, 24 January 2015 12:42