Origins of the Vietnamese Language
Like the origins of the Vietnamese people and culture, the history of the Vietnamese language is also a mixture of different parts and components. The monotonic Mon-Khmer language gave Vietnamese many of its basic words and the Tai languages contributed many aspects of tonality and grammar. Also, because the Chinese dominated Vietnamese culture and history for almost almost a millenium, not suprisingly, much of the Vietnamese language's political, literary, philosophical, military, and religious vocabulary comes from Chinese, although the pronunciations have changed through the years. Finally, there is a sprinkling of modern French and English words as well.
A writing system called "chu nom" was developed in the 8th century that used partly modified Chinese characters. However, it was not until the 1600s that the Vietnamese language acquired its current form. This happened when two Portugese Jesuit missionaries named Gaspar d'Amiral and Antonio Barboza romanized the language by developing a writing and spelling system using the Roman alphabet and several signs to represent the tonal accents of Vietnamese speech. This system was further codified in the first comprehensive Vietnamese dictionary (containing over 8,000 words) by Frenchman Alexandre de Rhodes in 1651.
This new Roman script, called "quoc ngu" or national language, was spread by later missionaries as a means of converting Viet Nam to Christianity and it quickly replaced the Chinese-based chu nom system as the dominant form of Vietnamese writing. It was finally declared the official language of Viet Nam by the French in 1910 and has been universally learned, used, and written by all Vietnamese since then.
( 0 Votes )
|< Prev||Next >|
- Best time to visit Vietnam
- Cost of daily items & tipping
- Tips and advice to help you stay safe during your trip
- Business travellers
- Vietnamese money and currency
- Medical & health information
- 20 biggest travel mistakes
- Customs and immigration
- Motorbike hire
- Travelling by bus or coach
- Public Train in Vietnam
- Domestic Flights Vietnam
- Cheap Flights to Vietnam
- Taste fried Vietnamese spring rolls-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Sapa Homestay-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Hanoi City Tour-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Drink like a local-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Halong Bay in the ricefields-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Climb Fansipan Mountain-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Cruise Halong Bay-Top things to do in Vietnam
- Vietnam Government
- Vietnam Religion & Lifestyle
- Origins of the Vietnamese Language
- Vietnam History
- Vietnam travel safety - How is safety to travel to Vietnam
- Best time to travel to Indochina
- Gay and Lesbian Travel Tips
- Three steps to avoid fraud when booking travel online for your Vietnam holiday
- Best time to travel to Vietnam and Cambodia
Top 10 Most Interest
PROMOTIONAL CODE CHINESE NEW YEAR 2017 To use the promotional code ” CHINESE NEW YEAR...
Son Doong Cave History From an early age, local man Ho Khanh used to spend weeks on end trekki...
Structure of Son Doong Cave The first expedition had been halted by an 80m high calcite barrier, ...
Son Dong Cave Phóto: Internet Son Doong Cave is in the heart of the Phong Nha Ke Bang National ...
Kong: Skull Island Trip & Sapa- 8 Days Starts : Hanoi City , ends : Hanoi City Trip code: KSIT &SP...
Kong: Skull Island Trip- 2Days Starts : Hanoi City , ends : Hanoi City Trip code: KSIT-2D Ages: Mi...
Vietnam visa fees granted to US tourists set to skyrocket from late August The Vietn...
Vietnam to launch e-visas in tourism drive
Vietnam named a favorite destination for Chinese tourists
Visa waivers lift Vietnam's foreign tourist arrivals
PROMOTIONAL CODE CHINESE NEW YEAR 2017Thursday, 22 December 2016 01:13
Son Doong Cave HistoryFriday, 25 November 2016 02:18
Structure of Son Doong CaveFriday, 25 November 2016 02:15
Son Dong CaveFriday, 25 November 2016 01:50
Kong: Skull Island Trip & Sapa- 8 DaysThursday, 24 November 2016 03:23
Kong: Skull Island Trip- 2DaysThursday, 24 November 2016 02:01
Vietnam visa fees granted to US tourists set to skyrocket from late AugustThursday, 24 November 2016 01:50
Vietnam to launch e-visas in tourism driveThursday, 24 November 2016 01:48
Vietnam named a favorite destination for Chinese touristsThursday, 24 November 2016 01:46
Visa waivers lift Vietnam's foreign tourist arrivalsThursday, 24 November 2016 01:44